The first filmmaker is Michel Gondry, who is a French director who is well known for using visual manipulation in the mise en scéne of his videos. 2 of his videos stand out above the rest, and have provided a lot of inspiration towards my work and ideas in this project.
The main video that I have analysed is Star Guitar by The Chemical Brothers. The video was shot at 10 different times of the day so that Gondry could get different lighting & gradients, but to me, the only thing more impressive than the video itself is how it was planned.
I found a video on Youtube titled 'Making of Star Guitar' which was filmed by Michel Gondry. He used squared paper as his timeline to draw different symbols that represented each different beat or instrument in the song. He then went onto placing different items in a line on a court yard and moved the camera along the line matching the song that was being played in the background. I could relate to this video because it is similar to how I came up with the idea of my experimental film.
Making of Star Guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0-wGbRqEs#t=468
The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S43IwBF0uM
Another music video that follows the same structure of Star Guitar is Around The World by Daft Punk. In Around The World, the different dancers in the video represent a different part of the song, Eg: skeletons dancing when the keyboard starts, and the robots walking when the voice over kicks in.
Daft Punk - Around The World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9MszVE7aR4
The second film maker who I have researched is Norman McLaren, who is known for his animation and film directing work throughout the 1930's, 40's and 50's, but more importantly for me, he is the creator of the visual animation, Dots (1940). The video was made frame by frame by Norman painting the individual dots onto a clear frame of film. I find that this film relates to my experimental film idea because the visuals match the audio throughout.
Because my experimental sound piece was produced like a song, it has pushed my ideas to a point where I want nothing more than the visuals to match the same beat/pattern as the audio. I have a lot of admiration towards Dots because of the time period in which it was created, especially because of the way the visual flows with the audio perfectly frame by frame.
Norman McLaren - Dots (1940): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-vsKwQ0Cg








No comments:
Post a Comment